- Music InsideOut provides both in-person and online programs.
- In-person lessons and classes may continue online via Zoom when necessary, especially when the government advises.
REGISTRATION – RETURNING STUDENTS
- Registration for lessons and classes will be for one academic year from September to June.
REGISTRATION & TRIAL LESSONS – NEW STUDENTS
- Music InsideOut offers a set of 4 trial lessons to new students.
- Tuition for trial lessons is equivalent to four lessons based on $85/65/45 for 60/45/30 min lessons.
- 30 min trial lessons are not available for in-home lessons.
- A registration fee of $50 applies.
- If the student decides to continue with lessons at Music InsideOut after the trial, the registration fee will be refunded and credited to the student’s account.
- The trial period is 30 days. Lessons are scheduled once a week, and all four lessons must be completed within 30 days from the date of the first lesson.
- Rescheduling can only be accommodated with 24 hours’ notice and is only accommodated once during the trial period with a make-up lesson.
- Make up lessons may be delivered online.
- The trial period may only be extended for one week in case of a make-up lesson.
- Any missed or unused lessons cannot be refunded or credited for future lessons.
- Music InsideOut accepts new registration year-round, however, scheduling/ placement is subject to teacher/studio availability.
- Late starters will be registered for the remainder of the academic year and tuition will be prorated.
- Trial lessons are only available to new students.
- There are two semesters in an academic year, and each semester is 19 weeks.
- First semester: September 6, 2022 – January 30, 2023
- Second semester: January 31, 2022 – June 19, 2022
- Each semester consists of 18 weeks of regular lessons/classes and one Recital Week: 36 lessons and 2 recitals in one academic year from September to June.
- EXCEPTION: For students taking lessons on Mondays, the total number of lessons will be 34 from September to June, and tuition will be adjusted accordingly. Please see the tuition section below.
- No regular lessons/classes are scheduled during the Recital Week.
- The exact date/time for recital(s) is TDB.
- There is one break in each semester: Winter Break and Spring Break. No regular lessons/classes will be scheduled during Winter Break and Spring Break.
- Winter Break: December 24, 2022 – January 6, 2023
- Spring Break: March 13, 2023 – March 19, 2023
- There are no lessons/classes on the following holiday Mondays:
- Thanksgiving Monday
- Family Day
- Easter Monday
- Victoria Monday
- On long weekends, private lessons will take place as usual but group classes will not.
- Winter Recital typically takes place in January.
- Spring Recital typically takes place in June.
- No regular lessons/classes are scheduled during the Recital Week.
- All students are encouraged to participate in recitals.
- Students who wish to participate in recitals may be asked to submit a video recording of their performance a few weeks before the recital date to ensure that they are well prepared and feel ready for the actual performance.
- Students and their families are required to stay for the full duration of the recital for which they participate, and demonstrate good concert etiquette.
- Disruptive behaviour and/or failure to comply with our expectations for recitals will result in loss of privilege to participate in future recitals.
LESSONS MISSED/CANCELED BY STUDENT
- Please understand that teachers at Music InsideOut have full and active studios, and it is impossible to provide make-up lessons outside of the time that is regularly set aside for the student at the start of the school year.
- A maximum of 1 lesson can be missed/canceled in each semester without any penalties provided that the teacher is notified at least 48 hours in advance by email. This lesson will be made up during Recital Week when regular lessons/classes are not scheduled. Please communicate directly with your teacher by email, and always copy our admin team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the student misses or cancels more than one lesson in a semester, the missed/canceled lessons are not refundable and will not be rescheduled.
- Exceptionally for circumstances relating to illness or Covid-related isolation, students can request to reschedule the lesson. Please note that the student may be asked to provide a doctor’s note, and the lesson may be delivered online and/or supplied by another teacher.
- IMPORTANT: This does not apply to schedule conflicts with other activities such as school events, sports, birthday parties and/or family vacation.
- There are no make-up lessons for group classes.
LESSONS MISSED/CANCELED BY TEACHER
- If the teacher needs to miss or cancel a lesson, the lesson will either be supplied by another teacher or made-up at a mutually convenient time.
- Make-up lessons may be delivered online subject to the availability of the teacher and/or the studio.
- In cases of severe weather, Music InsideOut reserves the right to switch to virtual lessons to ensure safety for both students and teachers.
- If a student is more than 10-minutes late, the teacher is not obligated to continue waiting for the student and the lesson will be forfeited.
- If notice is given directly to the teacher via phone/text or email that lateness is to be expected, the teacher will wait as necessary.
- Please note that the teacher cannot extend the lesson past the agreed upon weekly timeframe.
- Tuition at Music InsideOut is a membership payable in equal monthly installments throughout the academic year except for the first and last months.
- The first month invoice will include tuition installments for both the first and last months of the academic year:
- For returning students and new students who do not require trial lessons, lessons begin in September after Labour Day and September will be the first month.
- For new students who register after the academic year has begun and begin with trials, the first month is the month following the completion of the trial lessons.
- For new students who register after the academic year has begun but do not require trial lessons, the first month is the first month of registration.
- Monthly installments will be prorated for new students who register after the academic year has begun.
- The last month of the academic year is June.
- No invoice will be sent in June unless extra lessons are scheduled.
- In case of early termination with or without advance notice, the last month tuition will be forfeited as a TERMINATION FEE.
- Please be assured that your tuition pays for far more than the time spent at the piano with students during lessons.
- Tuition includes lesson planning, progress evaluation, research, creating learning resources or support materials, consultation and check-in with parents when necessary, as well as professional development activities for Music InsideOut teachers.
- Tuition does not include the cost for materials, registration fee for festivals or exams, and/or the fee for an accompaniment when applicable/necessary.
- Monthly invoices will be sent out on the 1st of each month, and the payment is due by the 7th of each month.
- EXCEPTION: September tuition will be due by September 15th as lessons begin after Labour Day.
- Late payments or bounced cheques are subject to a $45 LATE FEE for each occurrence, and lessons will pause until the overdue payments and late fee have been received in full.
- Currently, we accept e-transfers for payments. Please see the invoice for instructions.
- 30 min lessons are available only for First-year beginners 5 y.o. or younger, and are NOT AVAILABLE for in-home lessons unless there are multiple students in the same family.
- Students using Musico accounts for online lessons will be charged an additional $5/month. A family can share one account.
- In-home lessons may be subject to travel fee ($5+) per visit based on the location and the distance of travel for the teacher.
- Extra lessons may be scheduled for students participating in festivals or exams if the student needs extra help. Any extra lessons scheduled in addition to regular weekly lessons will be billed at $85/65/45 for 60/45/30 min lessons.
- In-person lessons
- Please arrive 5 minutes early.
- When you arrive, please change to indoor shoes when necessary, use the washroom, and make sure to wash your hands with soap thoroughly.
- Please wait quietly in the waiting room or outside the studio.
- In-home lessons
- Please ensure the lesson takes place in an environment free of distraction and noise. I.e. TV, conversations, cooking, vacuuming, etc..
- Online lessons
- Make sure your device is fully charged or plugged in before you log on.
- Please log on at least 1 min before your class/lesson time so your lesson/class can start without delay.
- Make sure there is no background noise interfering with the lesson. Ie. TV, vacuum, talking.
- Parents are asked to wait outside the studio as students typically behave differently when parents are present.
- On occasions where parents are invited to sit in the lessons, please do not interrupt or interfere with the conversation between the teacher and the student.
- Please be on time for drop off/pick up before/after the lesson. MIO is not responsible for supervising the student outside of their lesson time.
- How to address your teacher
- Students should address instructors as they address their teachers at school. i.e. Ms. Koh or Ms. Lydia.
- Parents may address teachers by their first name when students are not around.
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR LESSONS
- Music books
- A notebook and/or staff papers
- Writing tools: a pencil, eraser, crayons
- Indoor shoes on rainy or snowy days
- For piano students, please note that heavy rain boots or snow boots are inappropriate for pedaling, and indoor shoes are required for lessons.
- Our teachers are fully vaccinated.
- We strongly recommend vaccination from all eligible students and family members.
- Individual teachers may opt to work only with students and/or families who are fully vaccinated.
- Masks are required for indoor lessons/classes until further notice.
MEDIA CONSENT AND RELEASE
- We may at times record portions of our lessons or student performances or take pictures which may be used in workshop/conference presentations and/or for marketing purposes on our website and social media. If you would like your child to be excluded from the media, please let us know in writing before the first class. Otherwise, we will assume consent.
- The policies, procedures, and fees in this document are subject to change without prior notice, if necessary, and Music InsideOut reserves the right to change programs, rules, fees, and any other details that may impact students/parents.
- The provision of this document does not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, between any student/parent and Music InsideOut and its representative.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT & AGREEMENT
- Enrolment in lessons at Music InsideOut assumes compliance with these policies.
- The student and parent/guardian must read, understand, and agree to the terms outlined in the policy before enrolment.